Patent No. PCT/GR2006/000006
It is one of the most amazing tools of modern beekeeping.
(Particular useful and efficient)
By lowering product costs (reducing labor hours), increasing production and producing healthier products, this patent offers the greatest potential in beekeeping and makes the beekeeper more competitive and more sustainable in international market.
This patent was awarded the “Golden Diploma” at the International Patent Exhibition held in Geneva, Switzerland.
This distinction was judged by two commites :
1. by the “Patent Cooperation Treaty” (P.C.T.), and
2. by the “European Patent Office” (E.P.O.).
This patent has been distinguished among a number of other worldwide patents for its originality and usability.
Buying this pioneering lid, you can forget the smoker, which you no longer need to use, except when you take out the stacks from the hive. All work can be done even in adverse weather conditions and at any time (even at night) without smoking.
(Detailed design for “Genius Lid” in following photo)
The invention “Genius Lid” refers to the beehive lid, which has a top (1) that opens and closes. Under the top there exist troughs (3) and an opening with a removable cover (5).
In existing cells, the lid only covers the body of the cell, giving air a way in and out through the ventilation slots. To do any work on bees, the lid must be removed from the cell body in a violent way, because it has been glued with propolis by bees, resulting in aggravating and stressing the bees, demanding a lot of time and work from the beekeeper and making smoking obligatory. Smoking, however, transfers toxic substances to bee products. The stimulation that occurs, causes honey and pollen consumption by bees, some bee deaths, as well as looting from neighboring beehives.
The beehive lid, according to the present invention, not only covers the beehive body, but also enables work to be done inside the hive, in any weather, without having to remove the lid. As a result, smoking is not necessary, beekeeper has less work to be done and needs less time, bees avoid stimulation and thus avoiding honey and pollen consumption and pillaging from neighboring beehives. Furthermore, with this lid, the beekeeper prevents bee diseases, as he is able to visually inspect the bees inside the hive for as long as it is needed, without disturbing them and without bees bothering him/her. The specific lid is removed only when it is necessary to remove or add one or more cells to the body of the beehive for any reason.
The fact that no smoking is required has the effect of not transferring toxic residue to the products of the hive (honey, pollen, propolis, royal jelly, wax).
“Genius Lid” is perfect for “LR” hives (Langstroth standard) of 10 frames.
Its dimensions are 41,4×51,5 cm outer and 35,8×45,8 cm internal respectively and fits perfectly in plastic and wooden hives with corresponding dimensions. There is no transport problem and you can load other hives on it. While comparing the price of “Genius Lid” to the prices of other hive lids available on the market, bear in mind that ultimately it is more cost-efficient than buying a single lid and a ceeling feeder (which is included in “Genius Lid”), without having the advantages of “Genius Lid” and its manufacturing quality.
Each “Genius Lid” has a unique laser-printed number on its periphery, which helps the beekeeper to have a complete record of the beekeeping work per hive in your apiary. Also, along the numbering, the beekeeper’s personal information is printed, protecting the property of your lid.
It is available in ten-packs.
Benefits – Advantages
a) Better hive insulation
b) Better ventilation
c) Easy and cost-effective construction of honeycombs out of season of nectar secretion, providing the beekeeper with clean beeswax every year at a minimum cost
d) Fast and direct inspection of the interior of the hive
e) Rapid diagnosis of diseases, thus preventing their transmission
f) Reduction of medicine use
g) Avoiding unnecessary openings of the hive
h) Reduction of beekeeper’s work by 90%
i) Increase in production by 30-130% (due to reduced honey consumption during ripening, non-smoking and better organization of hive)
j) Production of healthier products, due to significant reduction of smoking and medicine usek) k) Rapid growth of bees’ population by at least 40%
l) Avoid plundering (no need to remove the lid for work)
m) Easy and quick provision of solid and liquid food or water with immediate and rapid inspection of the hive (inspection)
n) Respect for the welfare of bees and improvement of the hive’s microclimate
o) Economic benefit (up to you to find out)
Instruction for use
Proper installation and use of the lid, according to the instructions below, is a prerequisite for highlighting its advantages and achieving the results mentioned above.
First you accurately mark the points you need to open the holes (between the vents (10) on both sides) in relation to the retention system you want to place. Then with a drill, at least 0.5mm smaller than the screw you use, drill at a depth of 25mm. Then, you place screws 25mm in length and 3mm thick or others in your estimation. You can, of course, puncture through it and install a screw with a nut inside.
Caution: Incorrect fitting of the fasteners on the lid or the placement of the lid on a deformed cell may result in its distortion in the medium to long term.
The lid is always positioned so that the liquid supply vessel (3) is at the back of the hive, i.e. not towards the bee in-and-out door, so that the tank (3) is inclined towards the inlet.
3) Tank use (3)
After lifting the two clips (7) on the right and left that secure it and then lifting the roof of the lid (7), there is a tank (3), which is used to put liquid sugars (syrup) or water whenever your hive needs them.
4) Inner lid use (5)
Following the above mentioned tank there is a transparent glass (5) that closes and offers you the possibility to:
a) Check your beehive and record either electronically or on the inside of the ceiling (2) with a marker (which you can later erase with alcohol). So at your next visit you know about its evolution.
b) You can open the transparent glass (5) and place the dough (pie) on the wooden palette of the hive, sprinkle your bees with whatever it needs for stimulation or treatment, put any medication into the hive or anything else you think you need to.
5) Windows in ventilation slots (8)
Open or close the windows (8) in the air ducts (10) depending on the weather conditions, so that the bee swarm maintains ideal conditions inside the beehive. During transporting your apiary, the windows must be fastened in an open position.
6) Maintenance – Protection of the lid
- Be careful not to carve with sharp objects and use the inner lid (5) with caution (open- close)
- It is forbidden to put high heat temperature objects (eg. smoker, burner, etc) on the lid or its accessories
- If cleaning of the lid is needed, it is suggested to do so with the use of a clean sponge and hot water or chemicals that don’t affect plastic. If necessary, after you remove the lid from the hive*, wash with hot water and sponge each part of the lid separately, carefully removing it so that it does not break. Be careful when repositioning each part on the retaining feet so that they are in proper position not to distort or break.
* The lid is removed by placing the scraper in one of the four slots (11) on the sides and after we have secured the roof with the clips (7).
- You can quickly inspect your bee swarms and their population every week through the transparent glass (5) and record it, either electronically, since there is unique laser-printed numbering on the periphery of the lid’s base (6), or on the internal insulation of the roof (2) with a marker (which you can erase later with alcohol). Thus in your next visit you will know about the evolution of your bee swarm.
- Feeding the bees with solid food (pie) is preferable to be done in no more than 1kg, so as to visit your bee hives more frequently and inspect them, which is easier and faster now with the “Genius Lid”. If the population has been reduced while it should have been increased, after checking first all of your bee hives (to avoid stimulation and plundering), you return to your bee swarms that seem to have reduced population. If needed, remove all problematic bee hives, even the honeycombs or consult your veterinarian to prevent a potential disease transmission in the rest of the beehives. This can lead to preventing the disease transmission with much less medication and achieving healthier bee swarms.
- Placing the syrup to stimulate the queen into giving birth must be done preferably many times, even every day starting by maximum 200g and depending on population growth, increase the amount of syrup so that the needs of the bee swarm are covered. This maximizes results.
- Even better, stimulation can be achieved by spraying the bee swarm with syrup in temperature of 35oC through the glass very often.
- The amount of syrup needed to feed your bee swarm is proportional of the swarm’s population, which can be inspected through the transparent glass (5) directly while the syrup is being placed. Placing the syrup must be done preferably many times, even every day (unless judged differently) and the amount of syrup should not exceed 0.5kg each time (Trough has a capacity of 2.5 – 3kg). Also, the quantity can be determined, depending on your experience and what the goal is, by observing the absorption of the syrup by the bee swarm on your next visit.
- The amount of syrup needed for minimizing the honey consumption during its growth is at your discretion.
- The amount of syrup placed for building the waxes out of season (considering there is pollen) must be at least 1kg every day for at least 7 days (to build 10 waxes).
- Placing water in the trough (3) helps avoiding disease spreading in your bee swarms from polluted water and simultaneously saves them from unnecessary transportations.
- “Genius Lid” is perfect for rapid growth of offshoots and greatly helps to proper use it in raising bee queens.
- In very few cases, moisture may appear on the lid. This is due to the bee swarm’s intense work (dehumidification of large quantities of nectar, instense consumption of syrup, etc.) and not due to the “Genius Lid”. In this case, even if the moisture doesn’t cause problems to your bee swarm, you can use special moisture quilts.
With the purchase of each “Genius Lid’ there is a guarantee of proper functioning for 5 years.
Condition for the warranty to be valid is the placement and use of the “Genius Lid” on “LR” hives (Langstroth standard) or any other type of hive on which the lid can be installed to, as long as the rules in its installation, maintenance and protection are applied.
This product can withstand temperatures from -40oC to +60oC. At temperatures lower than -20oC, intense and sudden impacts must be avoided. We, also, do not guarantee carving it with sharp objects and every other distortion from misuse. The warranty does not cover loss of parts, but there will be continuous support for any spare parts you might need.
During the warranty period, we will repair for free everything that is due solely to manufacturing error. Transport costs are borne solely by the buyer. Claims that differ or extend beyond this warranty will be excluded, with the exception of those that are expressly provided for by applicable law. We reserve the right to determine the way, time and place of repair at our discretion.
The company bears no responsibility for failing to achieve the expected results or for any technical or other problem occurring in the future if they are result of poor installation or use of the lid.
If you notice any “Genius Lid” without laser-printed owner’s identity then it is stolen and we kindly ask you to inform us.
Supply of spare parts
Spare parts can be obtained from our individual dealers.
In the event of using spare parts not originating from the BeeNectar spare parts series, the warranty expires.